Important Preschool Curriculum Objectives
Teachers at Memories & Milestones Academy utilize The Creative Curriculum® for Preschool to guide their daily teaching. This curriculum is based on the latest, most current research about how young children develop and learn.
Our Preschool Curriculum Objectives:
Social-Emotional Curriculum Objectives
- Regulates own emotions and behaviors
- Establishes and sustains positive relationships
- Participates cooperatively and constructively in group times
Examples: gives another child a ball when asked, screams when another child touches his crackers, seeks preferred child to sit with at group time, hugs a child who fell down, etc.
Physical Curriculum Objectives
- Demonstrates Traveling skills
- Demonstrates balancing skills
- Demonstrates gross-motor manipulative skills
- Demonstrates fine-motor strength and coordination
Examples: Grasps drawing and writing tools, jabbing at paper, unbuttons large buttons, kicks a stationary ball, gets in and out of chair, walks backwards, marches around the room, etc.
Language Curriculum Objectives
- Listens to and understands increasingly complex language
- Uses language to express thoughts and needs
- Uses appropriate communication skills
Examples: joins in games such as peek-a-boo and pat-a-cake, hears siren and goes to teacher pointing “Fire Truck”, uses one work, “milk”, to mean “I want some milk”, etc.
Cognitive Curriculum Objectives
- Demonstrates positive approaches to learning
- Remembers and connects experiences
- Uses classification skills
- Uses symbols and images to represent something not present
Examples: holds toy phone to ear, points to photograph and says, “daddy”, picks out and eats only the animal crackers, throws paper away when teacher asks, “please put this in the trash”, etc.
Literacy Curriculum Objectives
- Demonstrates phonological awareness
- Demonstrates knowledge of alphabet
- Demonstrates knowledge of print and its uses
- Comprehends and responds to books and other texts
- Demonstrates emergent writing skills
Examples: Scribble writes deliberately, sings with a group, “one, two, buckle my shoe”, makes marks that appear to be in random order, etc.
Math Curriculum Objectives
- Uses number concepts and operations
- Explores and describes spatial relationships and shapes
- Compares and measures
- Demonstrates knowledge of patterns
Examples: notices that a special song is played every time it is time to clean up, pours sand or water from one container to another, raises hands up and down as the song directs, etc.
Science and Technology
Our preschool curriculum for science and technology focuses on living things, physical properties of materials and objects and our Earth’s environment and how we care for it. This objective is not progressive learning.
Examples: observes & explores things in the environment, organizes information, shows awareness of life in different habitats, understands changes in weather, navigate a software program, etc.
Our social studies curriculum focuses on the study of people and the way they relate to others. The kids learn how to be researches, critical thinkers, and active members of a classroom community.
Examples: aware that each person has basic needs and unique characteristics, understands various jobs in the community, understands people have different rights & responsibilities, etc.
Our preschool curriculum allows children to express themselves through the visual arts, music, dance and movement and drama. As children draw, paint, construct, mold, sing, dance, etc. they make new discoveries and integrate what they are learning.
Examples: appreciates peers artwork, uses and cares for art materials, expresses thoughts through music, leads and/or follows others moves, shows real life roles can be enacted, etc.